Sunday, April 15, 2007

Essential Alpine Skills Course – Day 2


Day 2 and we head off for the Ogwen Valley for some more practice on the crags above Lyn Idwal. This is familiar ground for Ali and I and some grade 1 scrambling terrain that we would normally tackle unroped. However, the emphasis is in efficient use of the rope and moving together quickly yet safely with running belays over rock spikes – an essential alpine skill. We also practice fixed belays using an Italian hitch and the odd nut placement.

When we top out on fairly level ground we again practice the Z hoist from yesterday – an excellent and, for me, a much needed refresher. Over lunch we discuss our homework assignment and get some good tips from Simon.

The afternoon is spent protecting a descent with a final abseil. Lee goes first (see photo) and looks surprisingly at ease for his first time. Andy provides backup protection on a safety line before it is his turn to abseil – electing to use an Italian hitch rather than the usual belay plate he finds it hard work as this method is much harder to control. Ali and I follow in turn and then Simon makes it all look so easy.

We head back to PYB and Simon is kind enough to spend some time with Ali and I preparing a three day alternative to our planned first Chamonix trip which would take in the Swiss summits of La Luette and Pigne d’Arolla. Food for thought.

An excellent course that was spot on for what we needed. Next stop the Alps! Good luck to Andy and Lee – keep in touch guys and let us know how you get on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some day, I will pratice this sport...

Here where I live, in Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, have some mountains that i can pratice... =) but I dont hav time! And I have some fear.....
=D

Man, can you add my blog in your favorites? I show eevryday, a picture about my place... beaches and beatiful pictures =)

Cya

Ali and Lay said...

I have been to Brazil only once in 2001 and alas not to Rio. Iguazu Falls was the most amazing place.