Monday, September 11, 2006

Refuge d'Ortu di u Piobbu to Refuge de Carozzu


Following a nice cold shower at the refuge we break camp and continue our way following the now familiar red and white way-markers. It’s a great feeling to be in the hills for an extended period and we are excited by the prospects for the days ahead. A long ascent up to the head of a valley to a col named Bocca Piccaia (1,950m) is rewarded by some fine views (see photo) and we break not long after for some lunch.

We catch up with an overtake the Belgian students (Stephen, Ruben, Walter and Gregory) on the afternoon scrambles – it’s all a bit new to them after the flatness of their homeland but they are doing well and are in good spirits although their packs look rather heavy to me.

The afternoon ends with a long descent down to the refuge below. We bag our spot near the refuge and Ali pitches the tent whilst I head for the shower. There appears to be only one shower ‘cubicle’ at Refuge de Carozzu and I get chatting to a German couple, Max and Saskia in the queue – she is a Cultural Studies student and appears to be able to converse fluently in several languages – these continentals really put us Brits to shame in the language department don’t they? Saskia tells me that she is about to start learning Estonian for a future trip there – her English is perfect – I am watching my English grammar in case she corrects me! Max is an interesting character too; he is a craftsman by trade and a boat builder. His next project is another Inuit style kayak.

Eventually it is my turn for the shower and I open the curtain and walk into what must be the best shower on the GR20 – an open air affair with the water piped ice cold directly off the mountain – what a view! (of the mountain I mean not my bare bottom)
Each of us has brought a group treat with us to be shared on the trip - tonight Cat unveils hers. She has brought a pack of balloons. The sound of laughter from our table attracts over the Belgian Boys and we all pass the evening making inflatable animals - my attempts at a giraffe go well at first but he wont stand up. The lads invite us over to their camp for a nightcap.

No comments: